To Team or Not To Team

    Personally, I can work well in a team or individual work environment however I usually prefer to work with someone else if possible because it makes the work more enjoyable. I consider myself an introvert extrovert because I am a mix of both. If I work with someone, I need them to also carry the load which is why I decided to work with Darsham. I feel like me and Darsham’s personalities mix and we just naturally work well together and understand each other. According to the article by Becker, “they shared personal backgrounds to learn about one another’s perspectives and how they might relate to their colleagues in ways beyond work.” Obviously, this was taken from an article where this was used for a large team, but it is still applicable to working with just one other person. In relation to the quote, since me and Darsham know each other personally we understand each other therefore making us a good team. “A cohesive team will demonstrate a spirit of togetherness and support for one another that helps team members quickly resolve conflicts without residual hard feelings” (Bradley 1997). Doing the magazine, you don’t want too many team members which is why I just have one that I know will work well with me and support me.  

    The activities we did in class this week were the Lost at Sea activity and the Social Media Peer Account activity. By doing the Lost at Sea activity I realized that I am a natural leader and that I like to work with others because I feel like it’s more enjoyable. For example, during the activity I thought that the water would be the most important item but other people on the team thought that the mirror was more important, we compromised and decided on the water. The activity also made me realize that I love to work with others because it gives me other ideas and makes the work easier. I feel as though the lost at sea activity made me aware of how I like to work with others. This influenced my decision to do the portfolio this year with someone else. Additionally, we did the social media peer account activity which I did on my partner, Darsham, to get a feel for his personality. Based on his social media I feel we would make great partners because we have the same values. I noticed that his Instagram had a sense of fun and was based on his interests and friends just like mine. This exercise really helped me feel confident on my choice of who to work with and get to know him more 


    Overall, I feel like doing the magazine with Darsham is the best option for me because it fits my personality. According to Bradley, “extroverts are energized by interacting with other people.” This statement really drives the point that my personality thrives working with others. Based on my personality and preference I am teaming with someone for the portfolio.  



Comments